"A kiss is a lovely trick designed by nature to stop speech when words become superfluous."


Ingrid Bergman




"Love is the beauty of the soul."


Saint Augustine




"The hunger for love is much more difficult to remove than the hunger for bread."


Mother Teresa




In the description of me under Lovey Dovey Me, the second one isn't really my description, the first Allison is. It's a confusing process. Their both me, one's just not really me.







Monday, April 2, 2012

Did you make the Right Decision?

I have seen a victim of bullying, not bullying that includes violence, but that doesn't stop if from being bad. I am not going to mention any names, for the sake of their well-being. I'm guessing it's not entirely their fault, for they did not realize that what they said was hurtful. They just let the words escape from their mouths thinking that it would be funny. Not caring that it was only funny to themselves, not the person. These people were making jokes about Japan, stereo-typical jokes. Not only that but also making tons of jokes about stereo-typical Asians. The specific people a part of this tormenting also tended to tease as well. Again, they think they are so funny when really they are the opposite. These people tend to either make mean, cruel and sometimes perverted jokes...and think their funny. It's not that they are bad people, they just don't realize how hurtful their being, they say these things by accident. (Or at least I hope they are.) When they did this, well, I said nothing. I couldn't think of anything to say, for this I am weighed down. Mean things and actions that I can't even go around to stopping. In my defense I don't know how, I don't how they would react. Probably not going to stop no matter how many times I tell them to. I've tried once...No impact. I tried twice...No impact. I gave up and probably shouldn't have, but honestly I have nothing to say to them for they don't listen to me anyways. When I tell them I'll do something they don't believe me, always saying I am sweet and innocent Alli, their not going to listen to a girl. And definitely not be for that matter.
Thus, I say nothing to them.

So far in Humanities I have seen bullying in a book we were reading in the beginning known as Shadow of the Minotaur. In the book Shadow of the Minotaur the main character is harassed by the big bully of the school, with harsh words and physical contact. In the Boy in the Striped Pyjamas there is bullying when one of the soldiers beats up on of the Jews just for spilling wine. No one responded to these actions.

If you see something that shouldn't be done, contact someone or just simply help the person in need. Help yourself make the right decision, the one that will have the most impact for the others safety. Whether it's just emotionally or physically.
Sure this is just Human Nature, but honestly, why can't Human Nature at least try to be controlled?

The following part of this blog will not make much sense if you have not seen this video.


1.What’s familiar about the incident Eve describes?

To me, everything is familiar about what she says. I to, have had people throw their hatred at me for no apparent reason. Not knowing why though, I just ignore them and stay close to my own friends. The people who deserve me.

2.What surprised you?

The fact that people would hate on people that they have known for years for no divine reason. With my problem I had not known them for years, but the people in her story knew each other since a young age. So to define the reason for Eve's time of life of being an outcast is rather unclear. It is hard to understand the subject of Human Nature. People say treat other the way you would want to be treated, in fact, they say this all the time. Then why do people say they listen to it, when really they are only treating their friends this specific way? Why not everyone? I strive to be kind to everyone, even if I particularly don't like that person, I am still kind to them. Hopefully, ensuring that I have no enemies and that they will treat me the same way.

3. How does Eve’s story relate to bullying? Was she bullied? Did she bully? How would you explain her behavior?( perpetrator/bystander/victim?). make sure you justify & back up your answer. Psychologists Michael Thompson and Lawrence Cohen point to the powerful influence of peer groups in guiding our behavior: ‘We all know that groups can go terribly astray in terms of their moral reasoning. Everyone not in the group can be considered an outsider, a legitimate target…It affects every group because we are all prone to that feeling of us versus them and the idea that if you’re not with us you’re against us. Speaking out against a risky, immoral or illegal decision is hard to do because that makes you an outsider yourself’.

In Eve's story the bullying comes in verbally, sometimes even the kind of verbal you don't hear. Like gossip and laughing behind the victim's back. Eve noticed that sometimes when she spoke some girls in her class would roll their eyes or giggle amongst themselves. So yes, Eve was bullied, but not in the way people know as bullying. The fact is, whatever is hurtful is known as bullying. Her behavior was hard to define, for she was more like all three. She was a bystander, for she hadn't helped the girl who appeared to be rejected more than she was. She also was a victim, for a specific group made fun of her as well. But not only that, she was a perpetrator for, at one point, she as apart of the bullying. She had become a part of this bullying just by laughing at the rejected girl's diary. So in hindsight, she was all three.

4.How did Eve’s need to belong affect the way she responded when another girl was being mocked? Why does her response still trouble her? How do you like to think you would have responded to the incident?

She responded the way she did because she probably longed for even that couples seconds of acceptance and feel of people actual noticing her. He response still troubles her because she can't believe she did such a thing even when she knew how it felt. Thus making her feel like a bully, just like the group of girls. For me, the way I would have responded is not certain, but if I was being made fun of by those popular girls I wouldn't have even followed the most popular girl. I mean, why would I want to in the first place? If I did follow her and saw the diary, diary aren't worth seeing in my opinion. Especially other people's. I mean, hearing about other people's lives is boring. I don't care about other people's secrets for they deserve to keep them for their selves.

5. Eve concludes “Often being accepted by others is more satisfying than being accepted by oneself, even though the satisfaction does not last.’ What does she mean?
Basically here Eve is telling us that feeling accepted is like a treasure. You want that treasure so badly and even feeling it for a second make you feel as if people care about you. That you are not a nobody and that you are certainly not ignored. Sadly though, if you are normally not accepted that acceptance does not last for things are probably going to go back to the way they were before pretty quick. You don't want to be just accepted by yourself, you want to feel loved by others other than yourself. A compliment is wonderful every once in a while, because then you feel as if others feel the same way you do. If you feel beautiful but no one ever tells you you are, you feel awful as if your beauty may not actually be there.

Love and help one another for that is what fuels the giving heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment