"A kiss is a lovely trick designed by nature to stop speech when words become superfluous."


Ingrid Bergman




"Love is the beauty of the soul."


Saint Augustine




"The hunger for love is much more difficult to remove than the hunger for bread."


Mother Teresa




In the description of me under Lovey Dovey Me, the second one isn't really my description, the first Allison is. It's a confusing process. Their both me, one's just not really me.







Saturday, May 21, 2011

The End is Coming! (Not the World silly, School!)

The end is coming indeed! The end of SCHOOL, not the end of the world, whoever tells you the world is going to end is a nut job. We are soon moving on to 7th grade! In fact, there's only 2 more weeks left of school! Honestly, unlike most people, I LOVE school. For most children that is usually a not very common trait. I wouldn't like school if I didn't think of it in a different point of view. Here's my point of view; If there was NO SCHOOL, then you probably wouldn't know any of your friends, you may meet them at one point in you life, but you may only see them once. With out school there would be no connection really between you and others, it would always be the weekend. (Weekends can get very boring.) And school actually gives you something to do! With out school and it's homework I would be nearly bored over the weekends! Plus, no school basically equals no social life, so it would be hard to be entertained by friends every day! (Unless you happen to have a neighbor around your age.) For the second to last blog post we have been assigned to write, (School gave it to us.) we have to reflect on our pieces of work and what we really enjoyed, and didn't really enjoy throughout the year. It's been a wild ride and I am very happy to share it with you!


What pieces of Work and Learning are you most proud of? Explain.

Well, the work I would have to say that I was most proud of is the.... Wow. This question has really stumped me. I'm proud of a lot of my work. My teachers of really taught me a lot. I've really learned a lot for that matter. But I would have to say my proudest piece of work was the Imaginative Narrative. My teacher didn't really agree though, I can tell by looking at the grade I got out of it. 42.5 out of 50. But I was just so proud of it! I believed I really felt what I was writing, we all have different opinions, so I decided to read over my story and see what my teachers opinion has been. Yeah, he was right, I could have done a lot better.But it was just that we didn't have as much time to write it as I would have liked. But, I was mainly proud of it because I believe I really dug deep into my imagination. Thinking of a totally different way to explain Mars and the "things" living on it. My Imaginative Narrative was mainly supposed to be an Action/Romance. (After my favorite genre of book) I would have loved to write more, but sadly, there was a word limit. Well, maybe there wasn't, but it was so long ago I completely forgot about it.
The learning I was most proud of, well, I'm not quire sure what that question is supposed to mean. But I think it's trying to tell me to explain what I enjoyed learning the most. Well, I enjoyed be challenged to really think and dig deep about my feelings for a book. I didn't always enjoy the book, in fact, I really only enjoyed one of the books that we read. It was called Charlotte Doyle something or other. It was my favorite book that we read this year. My least favorite probably had to be The Giver. But that was just my opinion. I think the main reason why I had enjoy Charlotte Doyle a lot more was because I could really relate to the character. She was just a girl trying to find her place, kind of like in the beginning of the year I was struggling to find my place. The only difference was she was on a ship, and I was at school. (Ha Ha....)


What were your greatest challenges? Explain.

My greatest challenges were probably the Tic Tac Toes. You see, the Tic Tac Toe was a project where you were put in a group and you had to choose three projects (In a row) that you wanted to prepare about the certain topic you were assigned. it was probably challenging because everyone in your group has different ideas, plus the main problem was you depending on your buddies to actually HELP. That was hard, you never know if they were really working on anything or not. And if they weren't, it would be really annoying to do their work for them. The Tic Tac Toes were always full of drama, even if there were only just 2. You had to get them done in a certain amount of time, then present them to the class. If someone in your group didn't practice what they had to say, well, you wee DOOMED. If someone in your group was absent AND you didn't know their lines, it was pretty hard to improvise. Especially if you didn't know what idea they were getting at. You also had to trust you partners to follow instructions and do all the steps for their project (You could assign each other each 1 on of the three projects.) , if they didn't, once again you DOOMED. That probably the hardest thing, in fact, that was always the hardest part for group projects. It also hard if you took a vacation and your not quite sure what you partners doing. (That happened to me once, I went on vacation, he ended up doing a very good job while I was gone though with the power point. He was a very reliable partner.)
Remember, no reliable partner = DOOMED!

Reflecting on your growth this year, what did you learn about yourself as a learner?

I really found a lot about myself this year. For one, through out the year I realized I worked better if my humanities teacher was playing music in the background as I work. It's as if music is my fuel to help me think. In fact, I'm listening to music right now as I write this. It really helps me understand my thought better. If people talk while I'm working, even if their just whispering to each other, I completely loose my train of thought. I like doing homework in a room with music on, alone. If not I can literally see the train in my head falling apart. Sometimes I even creep myself out... I also found out that I learn better if the teacher is a great speaker, for example, my humanities teacher. (Not mentioning names on the internet, I'll say first names, but not last.) Billy, (Humanities teacher.) always intrigues me into what ever he's saying. I bet even if he was giving a long list of his interests, I would be entertained by his words. I think all the teachers in the school should really learn from him. (Then again, I don't know all the teachers in the school. I bet most of them are doing just fine.) Still, you have to admit, you would get bored of a list of interests after a while. But he's probably be able to keep me hooked for a long time.
Another thing we learned a lot and reflected a lot about this year is out learning profiles. I ended up being profile LL. It not completely accurate though, because it says I need quite to let ideas flow, but I actually need music. But it does help with other things like which side of the class I should sit on. My dominant ear (Slightly better ear.) is my right ear, so I should sit on the left side of the class. I'm still not quite sure if that's true or not though, If I'm ease dropping I use my right ear. But when I'm talking on the phone, I put the phone to my left ear. So honestly, It's really hard to find the real answers to that sort of thing. My dominant side of the brain is my right side. Meaning I'm Gestalt. Which means I basically have a large imagination. That would really explain one of my odd habits, please don't be creeped out when I tell you the odd habit, wait actually please do, I love creeping people out! I enjoy slapping imaginary people, it's weird I know, but it's just I slap people who come up from behind me sometimes, but they aren't really there. It's actually pretty funny... Moving on ward! Creepy right?

Behavior.

Perfect- Model Student.

OK, I don't mean to see like I'm giving myself a greater title than I should. But over all I believe I'm very well behaved in class, sometimes though, I have to admit, people have to get me out of a trance. Sometimes I start looking into space, either that or I'm just sucked into a very good book. I believe I listen to the teacher very well, I hear the instructions and know what to do. That's definitely how I get my blogs done! I work well with others, I don't really care which partner I get. It's kind of odd actually, I actually enjoy teacher choosing our partners for us. Mainly because then I'm with the same person every time, which kind of gets annoying. I don't really care if I'm with my best friend or not, all what I really care about is if they get their work done. I'm good friends not only with people my age, but I believe I'm very well connected with the teacher. Which I have to admit, is a very good thing, you want to be on a teacher good side, if you not, well, I'm actually not quite sure. I don't think I've ever been on a teachers bad side, except for one of my violin teachers. (In my old school.) She wasn't happy because I was left handed, apparently she had some kind of problem with that. I try to make sure my work is turned in on time, except there is ONE problem. Your learn about it more when I talk about my organization, it has a lot to do with how forgetful I am. That's why I think I'm a model student, it mainly has things to do with the teacher. (Just to give you a heads up.)

Participation

Actively Participates in Class.

I believe this represent my very well! I enjoy sharing my ideas in with the class, I enjoy them seeing a different view point on things. If I didn't share anything I don't know what I would do. I raise my hand when I think I have the answer, but if I don't know the answer, well, I don't raise my hand. (Very funny.) When there's a problem that needs solving I try to search in my memory compartments and find the answer closest to the real one. Who knows, I might actually have the exact answer. I think I really love is writing things on the board, especially when I'm called up in Math class to share how I found my answer to the class. I don't care if I'm wrong, or if I'm right, I'll always get a nice try, and then, with the class, be able to find out where I went wrong. Honestly, that, in my point of view, is a very good way to learn. Even if it's just requesting a song for Billy (Remember, Humanities teachers.) to play on his computer when were working during class. I really do participate in class, in groups and projects to. I put friends work first, If I'm not done with my work, and my friends are, I review their work before I even begin to finish mine. I don't won't to let them down, if their done they deserve it, if I didn't finish my work in on time, then I don't. That's just the way I roll.

Organization

Satisfactory.

Yeah, I'm going to be honest on this one. My organization is between Satisfactory and Need Serious Help. I was fine at the beginning, but then now, I am more forgetful! I forget things like binder and planner. Plus sometimes I forget to bring my homework home. The main problems I have are when it comes to Math and Science. I'm most forgetful for those classes. You can ask my Math/Science teacher. Ms.R. (I'm not quite sure what her first name is, well, I have an idea but I just don't know how to spell it. You know how embarrassing it is to be with a teacher for a year and not really know their first name. Sorry Ms. R.) I'm going to work on the in 7th Grade.

Effort

I always go above an beyond what is required.

Don't worry, I have lots of examples for how I can relate to that sentence. One great example is actually, probably this blog! I love to write, especially blogs. I put all my work into them! I put best effort into everything! I enjoy thinking outside the box and writing long paragraphs. I believe that long paragraph helps explain my point better. More examples, more proof. I also believe I put all my work into things called Lit Circles. Maybe not in the beginning of the year. But now I really have learned to do more thinking when I comes to reading a book. I can ask myself a question that is not only mind boggling, but has more than 2 possible answers. I want to really reach to find better ideas, if I write something, I want to find all the right words and details to improve my writing. That's certainly what I've been doing with this blog post, I try to make everything very thorough. If I don't, then my own work confuses me! That is NOT a good thing! If you don't get your own work, well, who is? That's why you really have to reach to make is as detailed as possible. Detailed right?

Based on your reflections, what are two personal learning goals for Grade 7 next year?

For one thing, In 7th grade I plan to get more organized. I'm going to really try to stick with ONE planner throughout the year. This year I have been through 5. Honestly, I am crazy forgetful, but not for all my classes though. Some of them I remember all my materials, some, not so much. If I'm more organized that is a GREAT THING! Cause that means I can be like, an A+ student, remembering all my work to bring home and actually finishing it! In fact, I've forgotten something. Before I started writing this, I wanted to do my Math homework. I looked in my bag and.... NO BINDER! Man, I have to work on that!

The second thing in 7th grade that I plan to do is be even more creative than I already am. That may be a little bit more challenging, but I am willing to find fresh new ways to solve problems. I don't just want to use the same methods I have used this year. For example, if I'm in another country for a project, I should find out if they have Skype or not, plus find out if the hotel does. (Knowing hotels that's probably a no though.) But just in case we really have to communicate. Skype would be a great way to communicate, especially if it's jut the fact that I'm sick. I want to reach even farther outside the box. Especially if we have another Imaginative Narrative in 7th grade. (I hope we do!)

Is there any information about yourself you would like the teachers to know?

One thing is that, I have to be honest, I can get a little crazy. I like being independent and I don't really care what others thing of me. Out of the things on my to do list, popularity isn't even on there. I'd rather have one best friends, than a bunch of people who think I'm some sort of queen who just follow me around. That, I have to say, would be quite annoying. If you don't really know who I am I am the girl in 6th grade who has long blond hair and wears long colorful socks. That probably is the best explanation possible for me. It will also help if you can't tell me and my sister apart. People call me chatterbox, plus I can get a bit random at times. Ask my friends, they agree. We'd be talking and I will say Pickle, for no apparent reason. Bright colors are my absolute favorite thing to wear, love standing out in the crowd for that matter. I have no real enemies, I don't like being mean to anyone. I never tell anyone I don't like them to their face, I'm nice to all, not matter how boring or unreliable they can be. Warning, I can be a little loud.

Now time for an evil laugh;

MAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

What was your favorite activity lesson in Humanities this year? What did you enjoy about it?

Definitely the Imaginative Narrative. Why do you ask? Mainly because I love being creative and making up stories, what I love especially is being give topics to choose from. I would have like better topics this year, ones that you can really bust a brain on, if you know what I mean. The idea of making up you own story WOWs me! Being creative is what students need to vent all of their feelings. I would have loved it more if we had more time to spend on it though. That would have let us vent even more feelings. The one thing I didn't like about it was the word limit though. It took me forever to decide what words to delete, and with less words meant less detail, which you know I don't enjoy.

What activity do you wish we could have spent more time on?

OK, this is probably going to be a repeat, but I just love it SO MUCH! IMAGINATIVE NARRATIVE! We had to spend more time on that! I feel like we didn't get enough time to really think and let our creativity shine! I hope that there is another Imaginative Narrative in 7th grade I loved it so much! But I hope the we get to spend more time on it than we did in 6th grade! The last Tic Tac Toe we could have at least gotten one more day to figure stuff out, but that was probably just my group, well, maybe some others. I know the whole point of that was probably to see how fast we could work and how well we could work together, but I just felt like that we rushed it. That's all I really have to say about that topic...

Finally, cast your minds back to the first few days of middle school (When you arrived in Grade 6.) what "Words of Wisdom" or "Advice" could you pass on to the future class of 2018?

I would probably have to say stay focused, organized and get on you teachers good sides. The teacher part is probably the best thing to work on. You really would like you teachers in the future to be extremely excited about having you in their classes next year. If their not, well, actually I don't know, mainly because I don't think I've been on a teachers bad side before. Except my violin teacher who... WAIT I've already said that in the beginning of this post! Never mind, but you have to admit, It really is a good reason not to now the bad side of a teacher. When I comes to organization though, Ms. R wasn't very happy with me. But that just what I have to work on. To remember you combination for that matter, you should really write it down on a piece of paper and keep it somewhere safe around you house. So, if you do forget you combination, you can always go back and check for it. That's like, the only thing I'm good at remembering, combinations! I had three lockers, Band, Main and P.E. It may seem hard at first, I know it was for me, but in the end I knew all of them off by heart! If you asked me to recite them I will! But I won't, because that would be dumb to give away that info. (Unless it's someone you can trust and your having trouble opening you locker.) By they way, middle school isn't nearly as hard as the teachers explain to you. It's actually quite easy once you get the hang of it. Soon you'll be going with the flow. It may seem challenging at first, new teachers, new classes, lockers, but then it's easy in the end. For one thing, I know I'm prepared for 7th grade!

I really hope this whole reflection about the end of 6th grade and stuff, has really helped all the teachers reading it really understand be a bit more. Plus, if any 5th graders have read this, really take note of the tips I have for them. There always a bright side to things, no matter how challenging or nerve racking they may seem. For me, the glass is always half full, and the rainbow is the slide your riding during 6th grade. In fact, every school year of my life as been riding down a rainbow. They may be some obstacles along the way, like, an unhappy leprechaun, but you always get past them. No matter how much gold was stolen from the leprechaun. You always get past him.

No comments:

Post a Comment